Saturday, September 10, 2011

4 years ago..

This post is a little past due since we were on vacation while we celebrated Alex's 4th Birthday.

On September 4th 2007, I had a non-stress test scheduled at the hospital. Brad took the day off due to one of our cars being in the shop and we both had appointments that day. So Brad drove me to the hospital and he left to go to an appointment. I went to walk inside and the fire alarm went off. So back outside the doors I went. The nurses from my doctor's office greeted me and said that we would have to wait until they figured out what was going on. 30 minutes later we find out that someone on the floor above and burnt some popcorn. So up I went to the office. I got all hooked up to the monitors and the nurse did an ultrasound to check my amniotic fluid level. Usually this only took about 5 minutes. But the first time she check it the level is 7.5 (normal levels being at least 8). So she decided to check it again. This time it's 6.5. This is about the time Brad walks in, The nurse fills him in and she checks again, 5.5. Now I am thinking oh my! So finally she has an ultrasound tech come in and the final number 4.5. The nurse says she is going to call my doc but is pretty sure I will be delivering. In my head I am thinking oh crap, I still have 3 weeks lady! Brad just looks at me, not really sure what to say. They finish the non-stress test and the nurse comes back and says to head downstairs and get ready because "You're going to be a Mommy today!" At this point I am about ready to cry, because I am really not prepared for this!
So Brad and I head down to Labor and Delivery. They get me hooked up to monitors and an IV. About an hour later my doctor comes in to discuss my options. Option 1. Induction. Although he is very supportive if that is my decision he says personal experience is that I will be in labor 24-36hrs and that it might be difficult due to the low fluid level and if the baby has any distress I will have to have a c-section. But there have been plenty of times that the baby has gotten here safe and sound. Option 2. C-section. They will take me back as soon as their is an open room. He leaves so Brad and I can discuss our decision. We decide c-section because we just want our little guy to get here safe and sound. My doc comes back and says it will be about an hour and half before there is an open room. So Brad decides to head home to feed the dogs, and get me some stuff.
So I am spent the next hour sitting by myself and talking to the nurses. At about 6:00 they come in and start getting me prepped. Brad wanders back in and we start getting ready. at 7 we head back to the OR. I say goodbye to our parents and head off while Brad gets in his smurf suit.
They give me my spinal and my doctor says he's ready to get started. I was a little freaked out but about 5 minutes later Brad walks in and sits down. The doctor and anaesthesiologist are just talking and shooting the breeze. And about 10 minutes later he announces that he will be here in just a moment if Brad wants to look, Brad passed on that.. A few seconds later we hear his little cry. Brad gets up to look at him while the nurses clean him off and he cuts the cord. They bring him over to me and I get to hold my beautiful tiny little boy. They then take him off to the nursery to get some tests done on him, to make sure he is alright and Brad heads off with him. They finished up my c-section and send me off to recovery for an hour, and then off to the ward. I was pretty jittery and nauseous from all the medication so I didn't see my little guy until 11o'clock or so, and when I saw him again I knew he was my little Alex.
 We were so happy to welcome him into the world and can't believe that was 4 years ago.  And although he can be a bit of a pill now, we wouldn't trade him for the world.
A few thing about him now..
1. He is way into Batman and all things super hero
2. He has major attitude, now I know where Devin gets it
3. He loves preschool and would stay there day and night if I let him
4. His best friend is Sammie, next door
5. He loves mac and cheese and PB&J's, oh and Hot dogs
6. Loves his grandparents and get spoiled by every one of them.

7. Loves Devin to death and calls her sweetheart. But does NOT like to share with her.
8. Loves sleeping naked as he calls it (in his underwear)


Waiting for little man to get here...

The wait is over!

7:22 pm 5 pounds 4 ounces. On the way to the nursery

Getting checked out in the nursery

Alex and Daddy

My cute little man


And 4 years Later!

At Sammie's Birthday Party. Such a strong man!


Alex and Devin playing in the car

Such a sweet big brother

The Birthday Boy! Such a stud!

3 comments:

Ashley King said...

Happy birthday Alex!!

Jake and Kim said...

Time flies eh? Happy Birthday (not so little) guy! Man he was itty bitty, those nb diapers looked HUGE on him!

Chris and Brittani Knudsen said...

Happy Birthday Alex!