Sunday, August 28, 2011

A few things I've learned this week

This week has been quite the learning experience for this mom of 2.

1. Alex is going through a bit of a defiant/naughty phase.
 These come up every couple of months and can last anywhere from a week to a month. Well this one is going on week 3. Alex has been drawing on everything. He has been drawing on his funriture to the window at a restaurant to the seat at another restaurant. I have had to confiscate his crayons and markers and now apparently I need to hide my address stamp as well. This is just one of his naughty moments. 

Alex and the return address stamp. He has a funny look on his face because I was pretty mad. He has "The Sanchez Family" all over him.

2. Alex has a bit of Obsessive Compulsive disorder.
Alex obsesses about anything and everything. He will ask me over and over and over again the same question. Part of it is him being 3 and part of it is the OCD. He threw a giant 45 minute tantrum about going to play with the next door neighbor (but it was nap time). All her said for 45 minutes in his room was "But I want to go play with Sammie!". That is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the OCD.

3. I have very little patience. 
Refer to point 1 and 2, Alex has been a bit trying lately and Devin has been super grumpy due to her emerging 4 teeth. So most days are rough and my nerves are shot usually by 10 o'clock. And my they are really shot when Alex throws a tantrum for 45 minutes! I really need work on or pray that I get some more patience. Or maybe god doesn't just give you patience he just gives you the opportunity to have more patience. Well it seems I have had a lot of those opportunities lately.

4. Devin is Allergic to Oats
I ran out of yogurt the other day so I decided to feed Devin some oatmeal for breakfast. She took 3 bites didn't like it and started spitting it out. Rather than fighting with her to eat it I threw it away and gave her, her milk. A couple hours later I noticed little red bumps all over, even on her feet. And realized that I have passed on my allergy to Devin. I called her doctor and was told to give her Benadryl until the hives went away and not to feed her oats for at least a year. Bummer, no oatmeal raisin cookies for the either of us.

5. Walking is hard.
Devin can walk and she can got pretty far. But the second she loses her balance she gives up and just crawls. And if she thinks you are too far away she doesn't even try. So we will see when she starts walking. 

6. Devin has a bit of an attitude.
Don't really know how to explain it but she has serious tude!

Devin and Harper fighting over the sippy.

2 comments:

Jake and Kim said...

I have to agree with you on the patience thing. How are we to gain patience if we are not given the opportunity? A friend in my ward told me she has to beware of praying for patience just for that reason haha. I pray for it all the time. I'm sorry it's been rough lately, that's so frustrating! I'm glad Devin was ok in the end :) If you need some distraction let me know and Austin and I will come over and play!

Ashley King said...

I love the picture of Alex covered in the return address stamp! Too funny. Sorry he's been a bit trying lately though...