Monday, September 26, 2011

One thing you hope you never have to do...

Make a Trip to Primary Children's Emergency Room

Devin has been really sick for about a week. A very high fever and she hasn't really eaten or drank anything. The only thing she will drink is milk from her bottle. Friday I took her to the Dr. He did some tests and said he thought it was just viral, but to take her up to Primary's if she seemed like she was getting dehydrated. All weekend she stayed the same. High fever, fussing and grumpy. Sunday afternoon Brad and I finally decided to go ahead and take her up, better to find out nothing was wrong then to miss something.
So my mom came over to watch Alex and we headed up there. We checked in and sat there for about 15 minutes when they called us back to triage. I was surprised when the nurse told me they already had a room for her. Usually they look at you and then send you back out to the waiting room. So I knew that her fever was pretty serious. When we first got there her fever was down to 99.9. But she was still grumpy.
We went back to our room. The nurse came in about 15 minutes later and checked her out and then the Doctor came in about 15 minutes after that. He went ahead and looked at her, listening to her heart, looking at her throat, and ears. He was very impressed at how well she could wiggle out of his hands. She was NOT HAPPY when they would mess with her. He told me that they wanted to do a chest x-ray to rule out pneumonia and a urine sample to rule out a urinary tract infection but if those came back fine then it was probably viral. About 5 minutes later they took us off to x-ray. Again she was not happy about being messed with, but was happy as soon as the nurse picked her up off the table. We went back to our room and the nurse came into take the urine sample. They used a catheter so she was extremely unhappy about that one. I think Brad had a hard time watching her wiggle and cry. The nurse asked him a couple of times if he was Ok. Afterwards the nurse said the results on both the urine and x-ray would take about 30 minutes.
The doctor came back and said he was glad to say he had an answer. At this point I was thinking "So it's Viral". When the doctor say's "It is an urinary tract infection". At this point I was relieved that they had finally figured out what was wrong with her and I wasn't crazy knowing there was something more going on with my kid. He told us they were going to make sure she could keep down the antibiotic and was drinking some fluids. If not they would have to admit her, but he thought she would be able to go home.
The nurse came in and gave her the antibiotics and wanted her to drink something. She also noticed Devin's fever was back and checked it, 102.9 (I was glad they got to see her fever was going as high as I was saying it was).  The nurse was so sweet and brought in a slew of stuff for Devin to drink but again all Devin wanted was some milk. It took Devin about 45 minutes but she finally drank 4 oz of milk. I was so glad she drank something because I knew if she didn't they weren't going to let her go home.
After that they waited for her temp to come down after giving her some Motrin and we were finally able to take her home. We were there about 3 1/2 hours and I was throughly impressed.  They were thorough and all very nice.
She is doing pretty well. She slept great last night which is the 1st night in about 4 nights. She also drank an 8 oz bottle and seems like the antibiotics are starting to help. She is still sleeping and has to go see her regular doctor today.

Little Miss Devin. 
Sorry the picture is dark because we had the light off trying to get her to sleep a little bit. 

4 comments:

Jake and Kim said...

I don't think we realize how lucky we are to live a few minutes from one of the best children's hospitals until you have to go there! Poor girl, that sounds miserable. It's good to get some relief in knowing exactly what was wrong! Hopefully the antibiotics will keep doing their job and she'll be back to her cute little self in no time!

mr & mrs O. said...

oh my poor thing! hope she recovers quickly, she looks so miserable in the picture. I don't blame her! Glad the dr's were thorough and able to figure out what was wrong.

Ashley King said...

I read blogs on my phone where I can't comment, then forget to come back when I'm on my computer...

Anyway, I'm sorry about poor Devin! That sounds so stressful. I hope she is feeling better!

Chris and Brittani Knudsen said...

poor thing, I am so glad that she is ok...there really is nothing worse. Glad that you will all be able to hopefully get some rest now!